Autumn can be quite a shock to your skin as temperatures are rapidly dropping, and the wet and windy season sets in. So it’s imperative to give your skin some extra care and protection in order to shield it from the dryness and chapping that can so easily develop over these coming months.
Let’s not forget that autumn is also a time of transition, and a proper skin care routine can help correct any summer damage that may have taken a toll on your skin, and also prepare it for winter.
So to achieve a fabulous, healthy looking skin this season, make sure to use products that contain the essential oils and vitamins that can help protect, revive and regenerate your skin.
Read on as we tell you all about the key ingredients that your autumn skin care kit shouldn’t be without...
Olive and Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil, pronounced “ho-ho-ba”, is actually not an oil, but a golden liquid wax that is found in the seeds/ nuts of the jojoba plant, an evergreen woody shrub plant that grows in hot areas, such as desert areas of California, Arizona and Mexico. Jojoba was highly valued by the Native Americans of the Sonoran Desert as a potent balm for skin ailments and a skin restorer.
Today, Jojoba oil is considered the “superfood for skin”. That’s because it mimics the skin’s natural oils, making it easy to penetrate deep into the skin layers. Since the wax ester produced by the jojoba bean is similar to the natural protective wax ester produced by human skin, skin pores remain open allowing jojoba to penetrate beyond the epidermis layer (top layer). It is in these deeper layers where cell regeneration occurs. As a result, your skin becomes smoother, more supple and moisturised.
Jojoba wax is odourless, light and easy to mix in with other ingredients, which is what makes it so convenient for use in skin care.
Other great reasons to use products containing Jojoba oil:
- Long-lasting moisture. Jojoba absorbs easily into the skin, and delivers instant hydration that lasts for 24 hours and beyond. It softens dry and irritating spots and restores the skin to a balanced condition.
- Anti-inflammatory: It is naturally antibacterial, antifungal, analgesic, anti-inflammatory and hypoallergenic, so it is used to soothe a wide range of skin conditions, including acne, redness and eczema.
- Anti-microbial. Jojoba oil has anti-microbial properties and contains iodine that prevent harmful bacteria growth, which otherwise causes pimples, blackheads, and acne breakouts. It’s non-greasy and has capabilities to unclog pores by dissolving the accumulated debris that collects there, so it works as an effective natural remedy for acne.
- Reduces scarring. Use it on acne scars, stretch marks, and other skin wounds to reduce the appearance of scars.
- Anti-aging. Jojoba oil not only keeps your skin hydrated, but it’s also useful in lessening the appearance of wrinkles. It is packed with vitamin E, which is effective in getting rid of free radicals that are responsible for aging of skin. Regular use of jojoba oil also reduces the fine lines.
- Nutritious. Jojoba contains almost all of the vitamins and minerals essential for a healthy skin, such as: vitamin E and B, chromium, copper and zinc. The powerful antioxidants contained in the jojoba oil help in regenerating the skin cells.
Which vitamins should you look out for?
There are two key vitamins that should be present in your skin care products:
Vitamin A, also known as “The Anti-Ager”, comes in the form of retinol, one of the most widely acknowledged nutrients for healthy skin. Vitamin A can assist in reprogramming cells, resulting in healthier looking and more radiant skin. It also helps with collagen and elastin formation by stimulating fibroblasts (cells that produce collagen in the dermis), leaving the skin looking firm and more youthful.
However, while Vitamin A is essential for good health, recent research suggests that too much vitamin A, particularly in the form of retinol, may be bad for your bones so use wisely!!
Vitamin E is a nutrient found in many foods. In the body, it acts as an antioxidant, helping to protect cells from the damage caused by free radicals (compounds formed when our bodies convert the food we eat into energy).
When it comes to the skin, vitamin E improves moisture and elasticity, acting as a natural anti-aging nutrient within our body. Studies have shown that vitamin E also helps reduce inflammation both within your body and on your skin, helping maintain a health and youthful appearance.
Other ingredients to help you achieve deep hydrationAside from Jojoba oil, vitamins A and E, there are also other ingredients that should be present in your skin care products. Below are some of them, along with their benefits:
- Laminaria Digitata: Extracted from the large brown seaweed, this ingredient helps to boost collagen and it’s also anti-inflammatory, helping to flush out toxins.
- Babassu Seed oil, Squalane oil, Rice Germ oil and Inca Omega oil: These are all great oils that replenish dry and dehydrated skin, also helping to restore elasticity and softness.
- Silicone Polycomplexe: It minimises lines and imperfections, also helping to correct skin tone.
- Hyaluronic Acid: It provides long lasting hydration.
- Fixative and silicone polycomplexe: Provides immediate firming, lifting and smoothing of the skin.
- Lavender flower water: This increases blood circulation, and it also has a soothing and calming effect.
These are some of the most important ingredients that should be in your skin care products to ensure you have a healthy, radiant, youthful looking skin this autumn. Since the benefits can’t be denied, we’ve made sure to add them in our unique HEALGEL formula across our range.